Do I need a HazMat endorsement?

By Mac Longacre, Veteran Truck Driver & Staff Writer
Article last updated on 9/18/2008

To become a CDL licensed over-the-road driver, you aren’t required to carry a HazMat, or Hazardous Materials Endorsement. HazMat training is required for CDL drivers who want to be permitted to transport potentially dangerous chemicals and materials, such as gasoline, fertilizer, or dynamite. To haul everyday cargo, such as foodstuffs or automobile parts, a HazMat endorsement is not required.

If you are interested in obtaining your HME, you can find an application at your local DMV. You will be required to pay for additional HazMat training and to pass a general knowledge test from your license branch, as well as complete a fingerprint analysis and background check from the Transportation Security Administration. More details are available at your nearest DMV branch.

© 2005-2019 USA Truck Driving Schools Truck Driving School Directory | Featured Company | Featured School
Industry News | Industry Links | CDL Resources
Contact Us | Privacy Policy